Skip to main content

Diary of a moderate liberado



            Vankkam! Im a liberado.Well, a moderate one because we dont like extremism you known. 'Extremism' is always synonymous to 'Terrorism', So I refrain from being anything more than moderate. I live a simple liberal life but this fb is having a major play testing my liberalism. I will come to that later. I have other important things to tell.

Meet our Liberado
            The other day I was travelling in train on my way back to home. Everything went peacefully until there was an unusual noise in my adjoining compartment. Being a good person(?) I am, I do not intend to get into others trouble. So I decided to plug on my earphones and let the world be damned. But then everyone in my compartment were craning their necks to see what was the ruckus. Curiosity got the better of me and I too checked out. There was a young girl getting into a commotion with a middle aged person. Her bashings surely suggested that guy must have mis behaved with her. I was about to curse that fellow in my mind( Ofcourse not in public. Who would dare do that?) but then the person next to me cursed under her breath "Look what she is wearing. She comes like this and expects men to behave themselves. Must be a slut." She is a woman so she must be a representative of every woman. Men like Periyar, Ambedkar, Bharathiyar etc.,can be  man and feminist but no woman can be anti-feminist, so she must be telling the fact only.
             And then it struck me, there was this fb page always circulating memes on how Rape rate shall be reduced if women start wearing duppatta. I find it easier. Why dont girls try that? The guy with whom she was fighting was wearing only shorts. But he is 'safe'. That is OK. Because he doesn't have any glamorous parts. Or may be women dont consider them glamorous or let men have their freedom but we(not me) consider women sexy, so it is upto them to stop us from being perverts and even if something happens they should only ignore and not create a scene. Because it is only shameful for them anyways. We have given(We are the giving authority) them everything. freedom to education, work and even vote. Appa told women were even forbidden to vote earlier.Then they must be really happy now for what they have. I dont understand why girls over react.
            The other day I was incessantly texting my woman colleague, who seemed disinterested. Later I asked her out. She din't accept but  I dint leave. I kept telling that I like her so much and she sent me a big message that i should mind my own business. What? I'm only loving her. She said that we shall be friends. So I started sending her scandalous messages, because that is what I share with my friends(guys). If she speaks so much of equality, she must accept this. This is REAL EQUALITY. If she bashes me that this is offensive, that means she thinks of her less that she cannot stand the same equality my guy friends share with me. Hypocrite.
            And there is my friend Sanjay, who is getting married to his lover next month. I don't understand how on earth he has got the courage to marry outside his caste. Should have some pride right. We don't see caste. But marriages are meant to be a collaboration of prospective families. How can someone from outside adjust. Ofcourse both are humans not aliens. But still how? What if her parents commit suicide? Oh these people! Why do they prefer love over parents? It is OK for parents to prefer caste pride over their kids but how can these kids take such a decision despite the hardships their parents endured. And people like me will only infuriate it further. It may seem casteist for you but its NOT. How do I prove this? Yeah. Got it. Amma was telling that decades back there used to be separate coconut shells in tea stalls for lower caste people. But we dont follow such untouchability. We are open-minded people. Even when appa calls a worker to clean our tank, we serve them water(if asked) in disposable cups. See we are not casteist.
Logic of Moderate Liberals
            We also dont ask anyone their caste unless it is my friend or neighbour talking to my amma for more than 10 minutes. My amma gently asks them and whatever be the detail furnished, I swear it doesnt have any impact. But she asks only to know the other person's caste identity without which our soul wont find its peace. And I may be a liberado but I don't interfere in all these things because for us CASTE just DOESN'T EXIST. That too in cosmopolitan cities, definitely NO. May be in remote villages it is still there in negligible level.Once I overheard my athai cursing my mama as a 'lower caste' person in anger for his behaviour. But I'm cool to turn deaf to those comments because for us CASTE is SIMPLY DEAD.           
            Even if people still believe that caste discrimination is there, we have a whatsapp group of liberados like me to discuss intelligent ideas on such issues. The first step to eradicate caste discrimination is to abolish the Reservation system, because apparently caste is alive only in certain places where reservation is applicable. For us it is the only effective step so that people can enjoy everything based only on 'merit' without carrying the caste tag anymore. Once my over-smart friend asked me "How can you expect that the 2000 year long subjugation could have been wiped out only with 70 years of reservation? If the reservation has eliminated the ups and downs, why the top echelons of the society is still very much devoid of lower caste people? And most of all who said reservation is only for SC/ST? They occupy lesser percentage than any other community." Well, I could not right away answer all these but I think we cannot be held responsible for what our grandfathers did and we should simply wash our hands off their sins. Ofcourse we are ardent believers of 'karma'. We will also proudly inherit our ancestors' properties. But this one is an exception.
            We cannot repay or rectify our ancestors' mistakes even if we have an easy chance to do so. God will not punish us for this. Because our gods are very much kinder than other Gods. May be we don't know about other gods but still it had been consistently reinforced to us that OUR GODS are BEST. Anyways we are liberal enough to let everyone have their own gods, provided they stay within their limits. It is also mandatory that everyone have faith in gods of their birth religion. We dont want conversions unless otherwise it is people coming to our religion. Because that will only create communal frenzy which is not good for the utopian society we strive to achieve. And most importantly no one should be atheists. We may give respect to sentiments of people worshipping different gods but not to anyone having zero faith in god. That is against moderate liberalism. We will also curb the liberation to speech and expression if it is to hurt our sentiments. Liberation means to be limited not absolute.
             And also we don't mind religion overpowering politics because politicians shall be religious. Even if they are imposing(Read:Shoving down our throat) one particular religious ideas to the whole of the country comprising of various religion and faith, that shall not be accounted as breach of freedom to religion. In the greater interest of the nation, we should always fathom the ideas rather than the name in which it is imposed. That is how a modern and moderate liberal should be.
            We are moderate liberals who share quotes of famous personalities but never dare to follow it in our own lives. Anything more liberal than what we are will always be termed as 'too-much'. Because we want to curb the liberalism before it becomes extreme.We will even show our casteist, sexist, racist and communal colours at times of need. We are firm believers that moderate liberation includes all the '-ists' mentioned. Any one who proclaims that they dont want any of those '-isms' are always anti-national negativists for us. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exciting mystery that is Lepakshi

If you are someone who prefers to be away from the city for a while, but also wants to explore how the ancient cities used to be, you might find the ancient temples of medieval times interesting. Here is one such place where ancient architecture meets scientific mysteries. Lepakshi is a village in Andhra Pradesh, secluded from the hustle and bustle of the cities, but, well connected with them. First things first. What is Lepakshi: Legend has it that, this is the place where Jatayu fell after a failed mission to rescue Sita from Ravana’s clutches. Rama saw the mighty eagle lying on the ground miserably and said “Le Pakshi” which translates in English as “Rise, bird”. The main attractions in Lepakshi are the Veerabadraswamy temple and the world’s biggest monolithic Nandi which were all built during Vijayanagara empire times between 13 & 15 th century A.D. What to see in Lepakshi:     1. Veerabadraswamy Temple.      a. Kalyana Mandap A massive unfinished Kalyana Mand

Few Policies Chennai Can Adopt From Bengaluru to Be More Citizen-Friendly

The Chennai vs Bangalore debate is as old as civilisation. I, for one, believe we should ditch this debate and learn good things from both the sides, like Siddharammaiah, the former CM of Karnataka, who got inspired by “Amma Unavagams” and introduced his flagship project, “Indira Canteens” across Karnataka. Here, I enlist a few (Bengaluru) policies, which shall make Chennai more citizen-friendly. Link to this article featured in  chennai.citizenmatters Citizen–prioritised approach in public transportation: A lot of people would argue Bengaluru has the worst traffic, which is evidently true too. But, what is notable is the citizen-friendly approaches in the existing policies. GPS tracking of buses: With the MyBMTC app, real-time bus tracking has come handy. The app shows the nearest bus stops and the expectancy time for buses arriving at any stop. One can track buses and plan trips using the app. The government had roped in Nihar Thakkar, a teen who first introduced it privately. Though

Touring Hampi : Day 2 at the Hippie Island

Prequel:  Touring Hampi: Day 1 at the temple side "To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasant sensations in the world" -Anonymous Day 2: I woke up by 7 A.M and after a hot shower, packed my bags and checked out since I did not want to waste money on the hotel room unnecessarily as I was leaving the same night anyway. Again walked to the KSRTC Station. I have started knowing the routes like the back of my hand. Luckily found a cloakroom in the bus stand where I deposited my bag and carried only the essential things in a small bag. This time I was cautious to enquire H-A-M-P-I to get the correct bus, unlike the previous day fiasco. The city bus dropped me at Hampi near Virupaksha Temple. I switched on the maps and walked to the ferry point. Plus the tuk-tuk driver had already assured me the ferry point was at the backside of the temple only. The backside of the temple opened into a view of a beautiful river which I never thought was there initially. It