Skip to main content

Home Away For A Year


           Boarding the Bangalore mail a year back this day left me with a mix of incomprehensible feelings of hope, determination, anxiety, fear, and despair. However, this year kept me juggling between "No dreams are ever lost" and "Dreams never fit into our reality". Yet, there is, of course, an overwhelming feeling looking back at the year with sheer admiration for things I have attempted and can’t help but wonder how brave I have been to venture into new things.

            26 years is, of course, a bigtime to start that phase. However, the biological clock for everyone is different and the things everyone goes through are different from one another’s.

Of chasing dreams and figuring out new interests:

               It is a year of surprises that rewarded me with things I have made up my mind that I don’t stand a chance anymore. Joining PG diploma in Human rights law in NLSIU was nothing but a surprise to myself. Studying law had always been a long lost dream. I have lost count of the number of people I have told that I once wanted to do law but couldn’t, and hearing a reply that I should definitely have. Well, that dint happen and don’t matter anymore was what I kept telling myself, until, I picked up the thread from where I left and enrolled myself for the course. Sitting in a classroom and learning law makes me feel that no dreams are ever lost.

               This year has been great in accelerating my journey in creative fields. My blog saw more number of articles than any year. Also published my articles in various online portals like women’s web, FII, Youth ki Awaaz and Tripoto. I still remember the first time I received a mail that my article has been published on its website. Those are the moments that kept me moving forward in life. I am sure I would not have experienced these things if I had not come into terms with facing the world on my own and trying to make a place for myself.

               Also, it has been good to speak for a full 5 minutes on a youtube channel for women’s day. Something I have done only once so far. The vlogger in me also created my own channel and did some interesting fact study and travelogues. The future is uncertain but, the efforts I have put with the time I had in hand makes me feel proud of myself.

               Whenever I feel bad, I go to my blog and read the Mumbai solo trip blog I wrote in 2017. So, one such bad day, I read it and immediately booked tickets to Hampi. These are the times my impulsiveness has been of great help. Followed the Hampi tour with few more solo travels and perfectly archived everything as blogs and vlogs to reminiscence for eternity. The solo trips were of great stress buster convincing myself that I can do almost anything. Of the many jams I made myself out in the solo trips, some noteworthy moments are surviving an hour-long bike drive in extreme rains and pitch dark in a route full of potholes; making new friends and having them for a company for a day in Hampi and venturing to take bath in public toilet in Badami. None of these things I have planned, it just happened. I wish I could apply that in life as well to let life take its own course. This year had also marked the beginning of my solo movie-going habit and trying to use public transport as much as possible. It feels different to let someone else drive for us and enjoy the company of fellow passengers and our own thoughts.

                One very interesting thing that happened in my stay here was my showdown with my landlady. I had lost my cool completely and vented my frustration at her for being so disrespectful. In a city completely new to me, I found another place of great comfort within a workweek and shifted. It is a whole new job for a person like me who never had the need to go for house searching hunts. That is the time I realized how much pain it holds when people lament about their house searching stories.

                 Professionally, it is the first time I did something on my own and got a decent payment for that. Also, it is the year I realized work-life balance is more important. Only because I had that here I was able to concentrate on the things I mentioned before. Otherwise, it would have been just work-getting paid-work-repeat.

Of failures and heartbreaks:

                 The year is not exactly a bed of roses. Indeed the depressing thoughts and moments were completely there even in my best times. It was only a matter of prioritizing one problem over the other. I have always thought I should switch my stream of work. Many times this year, the opportunity felt like almost being handed over but taken back at the last minute. The pursuit continues and I hope it is not so far. I wanted to learn new languages, prepare myself for something else, which have all become a complete failure. Just convinced myself that it is not my forte.

                  Back in Chennai, I carried my mask perfectly. I was that person who never acknowledges having a problem. I never give away too much. It is because I was always surrounded by people. I was the one to listen and offer solutions than look for someone to share my problems with. The fact that I stay alone here and almost left with myself all the time has made me shed the mask. I have no other choice but to face the things killing me from the inside. I needed someone to talk to about my insecurities and pessimistic thoughts that engulf me all at once. And I’m glad I had the courage to face it and cry about it to my friends when all hell breaks loose. It is important that I realize my weakness as well.

               This year precisely showed me how some people can be so close yet distant and sometimes very far yet close. It is a huge battle where there are no winners but losing is almost imminent from the beginning, yet, daring to trespass the territories that the heart had always declared uncharted.

                Moving on, the year has been a roller coaster ride with me enjoying the adrenaline rush at times and also freaking out not knowing when will this all come to an end and if at all there is a way out. As I always say the future is uncertain, but, every passing day makes us close towards something and away from something else. And being away from home for a year has done both greatly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exciting mystery that is Lepakshi

If you are someone who prefers to be away from the city for a while, but also wants to explore how the ancient cities used to be, you might find the ancient temples of medieval times interesting. Here is one such place where ancient architecture meets scientific mysteries. Lepakshi is a village in Andhra Pradesh, secluded from the hustle and bustle of the cities, but, well connected with them. First things first. What is Lepakshi: Legend has it that, this is the place where Jatayu fell after a failed mission to rescue Sita from Ravana’s clutches. Rama saw the mighty eagle lying on the ground miserably and said “Le Pakshi” which translates in English as “Rise, bird”. The main attractions in Lepakshi are the Veerabadraswamy temple and the world’s biggest monolithic Nandi which were all built during Vijayanagara empire times between 13 & 15 th century A.D. What to see in Lepakshi:     1. Veerabadraswamy Temple.      a. Kalyana Mandap A massive unfinished Kalyana Mand

Few Policies Chennai Can Adopt From Bengaluru to Be More Citizen-Friendly

The Chennai vs Bangalore debate is as old as civilisation. I, for one, believe we should ditch this debate and learn good things from both the sides, like Siddharammaiah, the former CM of Karnataka, who got inspired by “Amma Unavagams” and introduced his flagship project, “Indira Canteens” across Karnataka. Here, I enlist a few (Bengaluru) policies, which shall make Chennai more citizen-friendly. Link to this article featured in  chennai.citizenmatters Citizen–prioritised approach in public transportation: A lot of people would argue Bengaluru has the worst traffic, which is evidently true too. But, what is notable is the citizen-friendly approaches in the existing policies. GPS tracking of buses: With the MyBMTC app, real-time bus tracking has come handy. The app shows the nearest bus stops and the expectancy time for buses arriving at any stop. One can track buses and plan trips using the app. The government had roped in Nihar Thakkar, a teen who first introduced it privately. Though

Touring Hampi : Day 2 at the Hippie Island

Prequel:  Touring Hampi: Day 1 at the temple side "To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasant sensations in the world" -Anonymous Day 2: I woke up by 7 A.M and after a hot shower, packed my bags and checked out since I did not want to waste money on the hotel room unnecessarily as I was leaving the same night anyway. Again walked to the KSRTC Station. I have started knowing the routes like the back of my hand. Luckily found a cloakroom in the bus stand where I deposited my bag and carried only the essential things in a small bag. This time I was cautious to enquire H-A-M-P-I to get the correct bus, unlike the previous day fiasco. The city bus dropped me at Hampi near Virupaksha Temple. I switched on the maps and walked to the ferry point. Plus the tuk-tuk driver had already assured me the ferry point was at the backside of the temple only. The backside of the temple opened into a view of a beautiful river which I never thought was there initially. It