Skip to main content

Curating My Own Golden Triangle - Agra (Day 2)



Day 2 – Agra:

         Thoughts about Agra: If not for the Taj Mahal, the city would be totally invisible. Despite the revenue the state yields from the Taj and the GDP they gain through the tourist activities, Agra still remains very backward. And I can’t help but feel bad about the poor governance they have been subjected to all their lives. Also, the religious polarisation seems evident as the only person(autowala) I spoke with was very open in spewing venom about the minority community despite the fact that it is only because of that particular community’s ancestral work, Agra is even a city to visit, to begin with.

         I got the 6.45 train, Taj Express from Delhi to reach Agra. The woman who sat beside me offered me her yummy home-cooked parathas. Once I reached Agra, I kept my luggage in the cloakroom and headed outside. UP tourism has prepaid autos to take you to the destinations you choose. I booked a 5-hour auto for 500 Rs. I have booked my tickets online on asi website to avoid standing in the queues. He took me to The Taj mahal first. It was a dream come true moment seeing the monument which I have thus far seen only in movies. I made a video call to my home and showed them the Taj. It will take nearly 2-3 hours to visit it fully. Something I don’t understand is why people gift a tomb miniature to their loved ones. I get Taj is a symbol of love, but, it doesn’t make any sense to me to gift a tomb to someone with whom you want to ‘live’ together and not otherwise. 



           My second stop was to the Agra fort and few places were closed for some work. We can also get the Taj view from the fort. In Taj & Agra fort, ASI has a bizarre security procedure of banning people from carrying headphones or even books. I asked the autowala to take me back to the railway station to collect my luggage and drop me at a bus stand where I will get a bus to Jaipur. He was very particular about making me board a private bus than a Sarkari one.


           It was a different experience being in a bus observing north Indian culture. I reached Jaipur around 10 P.M and the hotel staff was friendly to come and collect me as I told them I could not locate it properly. I drifted to sleep in my bunk bedded dorm where 4 more girls from different countries were there.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exciting mystery that is Lepakshi

If you are someone who prefers to be away from the city for a while, but also wants to explore how the ancient cities used to be, you might find the ancient temples of medieval times interesting. Here is one such place where ancient architecture meets scientific mysteries. Lepakshi is a village in Andhra Pradesh, secluded from the hustle and bustle of the cities, but, well connected with them. First things first. What is Lepakshi: Legend has it that, this is the place where Jatayu fell after a failed mission to rescue Sita from Ravana’s clutches. Rama saw the mighty eagle lying on the ground miserably and said “Le Pakshi” which translates in English as “Rise, bird”. The main attractions in Lepakshi are the Veerabadraswamy temple and the world’s biggest monolithic Nandi which were all built during Vijayanagara empire times between 13 & 15 th century A.D. What to see in Lepakshi:     1. Veerabadraswamy Temple.      a. Kalyana Mandap A massive unfinished Kalyana Mand

Few Policies Chennai Can Adopt From Bengaluru to Be More Citizen-Friendly

The Chennai vs Bangalore debate is as old as civilisation. I, for one, believe we should ditch this debate and learn good things from both the sides, like Siddharammaiah, the former CM of Karnataka, who got inspired by “Amma Unavagams” and introduced his flagship project, “Indira Canteens” across Karnataka. Here, I enlist a few (Bengaluru) policies, which shall make Chennai more citizen-friendly. Link to this article featured in  chennai.citizenmatters Citizen–prioritised approach in public transportation: A lot of people would argue Bengaluru has the worst traffic, which is evidently true too. But, what is notable is the citizen-friendly approaches in the existing policies. GPS tracking of buses: With the MyBMTC app, real-time bus tracking has come handy. The app shows the nearest bus stops and the expectancy time for buses arriving at any stop. One can track buses and plan trips using the app. The government had roped in Nihar Thakkar, a teen who first introduced it privately. Though

Touring Hampi : Day 2 at the Hippie Island

Prequel:  Touring Hampi: Day 1 at the temple side "To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasant sensations in the world" -Anonymous Day 2: I woke up by 7 A.M and after a hot shower, packed my bags and checked out since I did not want to waste money on the hotel room unnecessarily as I was leaving the same night anyway. Again walked to the KSRTC Station. I have started knowing the routes like the back of my hand. Luckily found a cloakroom in the bus stand where I deposited my bag and carried only the essential things in a small bag. This time I was cautious to enquire H-A-M-P-I to get the correct bus, unlike the previous day fiasco. The city bus dropped me at Hampi near Virupaksha Temple. I switched on the maps and walked to the ferry point. Plus the tuk-tuk driver had already assured me the ferry point was at the backside of the temple only. The backside of the temple opened into a view of a beautiful river which I never thought was there initially. It