Skip to main content

Curating My Own Golden Triangle - Jaipur-Delhi (Day 3 - 4)



Day 3 – Jaipur:

          Thoughts about Jaipur: I find it very disturbing that such a big state’s capital is dependent entirely on tourism. I don’t see any other form of development activities going on. People seem very poor and illiterate and sadly I saw police thrashing people in public places very frequently. Though Jaipur is very vibrant, these things again left me with sadness about the poor governance they have been subjected to.



          I must say Gypsy Monkey is one place I would recommend to anyone staying in Jaipur. The staff was very friendly. It is only because of them I changed my mind from hiring a bike and decided to explore Jaipur through tuk-tuks and buses only and it was enthralling. My first stop was to the city palace. I don’t feel the entry fees for monuments in Jaipur are relative to what they hold. It seems quite exorbitant. I then moved to Jantar Mantar and Hawa mahal. From there I got a bus to Amer palace. It was where Jodha Akbar was shot. 



          I stopped at Jal Mahal on my way back and tried Rajasthani dresses and took photos. I got a bus back to Badi Choppar and shopped in the vibrant markets of Jaipur. I quickly got a shared tuk-tuk to my hotel and dropped my bags to proceed to Masala Chowk. En route, I took a quick glance at the illuminated Albert Hall museum. Masala Chowk is where all varieties of food are available under one roof. After treating my taste buds with a delicious meal, I tried riding in the Jaipur metro. Funnily they have only 4 coaches in train. I returned to my room and packed for next morning.




Day 4 – Jaipur à Delhi à Chennai:

               I walked in the freezing weather to the Railway station to catch my 6 o clock train to Delhi. After a 4 hour journey, I got down in Delhi cantonment and decided to visit Qutub Minar before heading to the airport. But that seemed like a distant dream since all the autowalas canceled my ride and left me stranded in the station for a really long time and I started having second thoughts whether I will be able to make it to the airport on time if at all I visit Qutub. Luckily one driver came through and it took more than an hour to reach. Qutub Minar is totally worth all the last minute hiccups. I would have felt terrible if I had missed it and it seemed a great spot to finish the marvelous trip I have just treated myself with.


            I got an auto to the airport and they made me walk the bridge saying autos are not permitted beyond a point. I just made it to the gates around time and boarded the Chennai flight with Rajinikanth painted all over it. What a stylish way to finish my trip and I had one full row free and had my burger peacefully and drifted to sleep.

             One noteworthy thing about this trip was nobody asked me why and how I am solo, contrary to all my previous solo trips, where even if it is for one day I would have encountered at least 2 strangers shooting me with questions. It feels good to not have to encounter such questions for just being on our own. I hope I will go back and visit the places I was not able to cover in Delhi and extend my trip to Jodhpur as well.

Hope is a good thing!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exciting mystery that is Lepakshi

If you are someone who prefers to be away from the city for a while, but also wants to explore how the ancient cities used to be, you might find the ancient temples of medieval times interesting. Here is one such place where ancient architecture meets scientific mysteries. Lepakshi is a village in Andhra Pradesh, secluded from the hustle and bustle of the cities, but, well connected with them. First things first. What is Lepakshi: Legend has it that, this is the place where Jatayu fell after a failed mission to rescue Sita from Ravana’s clutches. Rama saw the mighty eagle lying on the ground miserably and said “Le Pakshi” which translates in English as “Rise, bird”. The main attractions in Lepakshi are the Veerabadraswamy temple and the world’s biggest monolithic Nandi which were all built during Vijayanagara empire times between 13 & 15 th century A.D. What to see in Lepakshi:     1. Veerabadraswamy Temple.      a. Kalyana Mandap A massive unfinished Kalyana Mand

Few Policies Chennai Can Adopt From Bengaluru to Be More Citizen-Friendly

The Chennai vs Bangalore debate is as old as civilisation. I, for one, believe we should ditch this debate and learn good things from both the sides, like Siddharammaiah, the former CM of Karnataka, who got inspired by “Amma Unavagams” and introduced his flagship project, “Indira Canteens” across Karnataka. Here, I enlist a few (Bengaluru) policies, which shall make Chennai more citizen-friendly. Link to this article featured in  chennai.citizenmatters Citizen–prioritised approach in public transportation: A lot of people would argue Bengaluru has the worst traffic, which is evidently true too. But, what is notable is the citizen-friendly approaches in the existing policies. GPS tracking of buses: With the MyBMTC app, real-time bus tracking has come handy. The app shows the nearest bus stops and the expectancy time for buses arriving at any stop. One can track buses and plan trips using the app. The government had roped in Nihar Thakkar, a teen who first introduced it privately. Though

Touring Hampi : Day 2 at the Hippie Island

Prequel:  Touring Hampi: Day 1 at the temple side "To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasant sensations in the world" -Anonymous Day 2: I woke up by 7 A.M and after a hot shower, packed my bags and checked out since I did not want to waste money on the hotel room unnecessarily as I was leaving the same night anyway. Again walked to the KSRTC Station. I have started knowing the routes like the back of my hand. Luckily found a cloakroom in the bus stand where I deposited my bag and carried only the essential things in a small bag. This time I was cautious to enquire H-A-M-P-I to get the correct bus, unlike the previous day fiasco. The city bus dropped me at Hampi near Virupaksha Temple. I switched on the maps and walked to the ferry point. Plus the tuk-tuk driver had already assured me the ferry point was at the backside of the temple only. The backside of the temple opened into a view of a beautiful river which I never thought was there initially. It