Skip to main content

2 Fun Moments In My Trips That Taught Me To Approach Life Better


When I watch travel vloggers videos on YouTube, there is a stark contrast in the way men and women describe their scary moments. The guys talk about “other” scary things, while women’s scary moments mostly revolve around men.

But, hey, let’s face it. Solo trips are not just about scary moments. Indeed the scary parts are almost nothing in the whole big picture. Every moment is a learning when you travel. But, sometimes you learn it in a fun way that lingers in your memories for eternity.

I present two such incidents from my travel that taught me to be more hopeful in approaching life.

Hippie Island at Hampi:

The best things in life are never planned. It is because we have an open mind to embrace any opportunity instead of sticking to a “plan” our ego never let's go off.

One such amazing experience was at the Hippie island of Hampi. The second day at Hampi, my plan was to go “planless”. I just wanted to cross the river and see what that side has. And, it turned amazingly well, to say the least.

Usually, in solo trips, we get to do only solo stuff mostly. But, here I got a friend to hang out with and even got to swim in the river with a bunch of kids. I still think sometimes what I would have done that day if I had not got a company. Because the Hippie side is completely opposite to the temple side of Hampi. It has got no monuments to explore. You just have to explore the village side which would be quite difficult to do all by yourself.


I had one of the most amazing memories of my life in the river at Hippie. I don’t know how long I played there with the kids. The friend I got in Hippie still stays in touch with me, though we are miles away. We had some amazing conversations throughout the day.

The story of my 2nd day at Hampi is what I keep telling myself whenever life doesn’t seem fair to me. It reminds me it will all work out if I could just let go of trying to control life and accept it as it is.

Parliament entry pass fiasco:

This happened in my Delhi trip. A couple of weeks before the trip, I have mailed Tamil Nadu MPs to arrange for a show around pass for the parliament. On the day of the trip, I have been instructed to get it from one of our MP’s secretary. He handed me the pass and told me to take an auto and reach the Sansad Bhavan gate. For my ease, he said it is Rail Bhavan gate, meaning, the Sansad gate near Rail Bhavan. As fate would have it I got it wrong. I told the autowala and he dropped me at the Rail Bhavan. It was a very busy central government office fully guarded by CRPF. Like the secretary told me, I showed my letter to a security i.e armed police. He didn’t even care to look at the letter and pointed to a box where people kept dropping letters. I tried to show him again and he shooed me away.

I remembered the Secretary’s advice, he had told me to show the letter to the security and follow his instructions from thereon. So, I had no other option than to obey him. I walked to the box and turned around one more time. The police again told me to just drop it. I still could not understand how it might work. How would someone tell me to enter the parliament if I just drop a letter in a box? Where should I wait? And from where would I get a call? Most importantly, why do I not see the Parliament here? While I kept wondering, hovering my letter over the box, the next person in line grew frustrated and snatched the letter from me and shoved it inside the box. I was still in that confused state of mind and desperately needed answers. But, even the police did not seem to speak anything other than Hindi.

While I was still there, one person came and dropped a letter. I knew I should not let him go. I pestered him on what was the letter he just dropped. He said it was a letter from an MP. I asked him what was in it. He said it was something related to Railways. By this time, I have followed him to his car. There was a lady in the car who saw me annoying her driver. She promptly called me and enquired about the matter in impeccable English. Luckily, I had a photo of the letter and told her that I just dropped it in the box. She told me I was supposed to take it to a gate a few feet away from there, where the parliament is actually located. She also told me to tell the cops to open the box to take the letter out. This kinda freaked me out. I asked her again. She said that is the only option and assured me that the cops would definitely do that.

Motivated by her, I went straight to the cops and said in broken Hindi and English, that I need my letter back. One cop took me with him and opened the box. I rummaged through other mails and found mine and took it to the Parliament.

If not for that lady, I would have never visited the Parliament that day. She was that ray of hope, the universe sends you when you are in a pickle. I always think of that incident to remind me that whatever be the situation, if we just stick around and try to sort a mess, we will, eventually, through some miracle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An exciting mystery that is Lepakshi

If you are someone who prefers to be away from the city for a while, but also wants to explore how the ancient cities used to be, you might find the ancient temples of medieval times interesting. Here is one such place where ancient architecture meets scientific mysteries. Lepakshi is a village in Andhra Pradesh, secluded from the hustle and bustle of the cities, but, well connected with them. First things first. What is Lepakshi: Legend has it that, this is the place where Jatayu fell after a failed mission to rescue Sita from Ravana’s clutches. Rama saw the mighty eagle lying on the ground miserably and said “Le Pakshi” which translates in English as “Rise, bird”. The main attractions in Lepakshi are the Veerabadraswamy temple and the world’s biggest monolithic Nandi which were all built during Vijayanagara empire times between 13 & 15 th century A.D. What to see in Lepakshi:     1. Veerabadraswamy Temple.      a. Kalyana Mandap A massive unfinished Kalyana Mand

Few Policies Chennai Can Adopt From Bengaluru to Be More Citizen-Friendly

The Chennai vs Bangalore debate is as old as civilisation. I, for one, believe we should ditch this debate and learn good things from both the sides, like Siddharammaiah, the former CM of Karnataka, who got inspired by “Amma Unavagams” and introduced his flagship project, “Indira Canteens” across Karnataka. Here, I enlist a few (Bengaluru) policies, which shall make Chennai more citizen-friendly. Link to this article featured in  chennai.citizenmatters Citizen–prioritised approach in public transportation: A lot of people would argue Bengaluru has the worst traffic, which is evidently true too. But, what is notable is the citizen-friendly approaches in the existing policies. GPS tracking of buses: With the MyBMTC app, real-time bus tracking has come handy. The app shows the nearest bus stops and the expectancy time for buses arriving at any stop. One can track buses and plan trips using the app. The government had roped in Nihar Thakkar, a teen who first introduced it privately. Though

Touring Hampi : Day 2 at the Hippie Island

Prequel:  Touring Hampi: Day 1 at the temple side "To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the pleasant sensations in the world" -Anonymous Day 2: I woke up by 7 A.M and after a hot shower, packed my bags and checked out since I did not want to waste money on the hotel room unnecessarily as I was leaving the same night anyway. Again walked to the KSRTC Station. I have started knowing the routes like the back of my hand. Luckily found a cloakroom in the bus stand where I deposited my bag and carried only the essential things in a small bag. This time I was cautious to enquire H-A-M-P-I to get the correct bus, unlike the previous day fiasco. The city bus dropped me at Hampi near Virupaksha Temple. I switched on the maps and walked to the ferry point. Plus the tuk-tuk driver had already assured me the ferry point was at the backside of the temple only. The backside of the temple opened into a view of a beautiful river which I never thought was there initially. It